Saturday, November 10, 2007

Voting

I just voted for the first time of my life a couple days ago, in the Saskatchewan provincial election. I won't say who I voted for, though you might be able to guess.
Before voting, I wanted to research some stuff about the last election, but couldn't find the information I was looking for. I did find some information which helped me decide who to vote for.
I had a moment of panic the day before voting when I thought they might not have the party affiliations on the voting slip - I didn't know the names of the candidates in my riding. I don't pay attention to people's names - instead, I listen to what they say. My parents reassured me that they do state party affiliations.
I was also surprised to see four names instead of three on the voting slip. I hadn't realized there was a Green party candidate in my riding - CBC didn't mention them, despite talking incessantly about the only slightly more popular Liberal party. (Neither of those parties have won a single riding in quite awhile.) I considered voting Green, but decided not to because my chosen party had a much better chance of winning.
Afterwards, we checked our mail and found a statement of policy from the Green party candidate and a fake letter to 'Grandma' claiming the NPD are driving away young people, made by the Saskatchewan party. I decided to save those. Since the Sask party won, I'll be monitoring them to see if they keep their promise of reducing emmigration from Saskatchewan (from 2001 to 2006, the population of Saskatchewan fell 1.1% according to Sask Bureau of Statistics Report).
Ettina

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home